Monday, June 27, 2005

RIP Richard Whitely


Guardian Unlimited: Culture Vulture

I get two of my favourites in at the same time. I love the Guardian newspaper, for it's slightly left of center take on most everything, and before the spellchecker, it's ubiquitous spelling errors that permeated it's editions.

Richard Whitley was so utterly 'Monty Pythonesque' that he was cool. The very low tech program Countdown has run for 23 years on Channel 4 television, and in fact was the first program shown on the new network. I was living in England during the 80's and 90's, so as a consultant working for myself, I did spend a fair amount of time while at my computer, watching this show. How different from our money grubbing, screaming, shouting brain dead quiz shows here in the USA.

Richard Whiteley was one of a kind, and will be missed by pensioners, uni students, shift workers and anyone else priviledged to watch him on this program.

RIP

No comments: