Monday, April 11, 2005

Many sad returns of the day

Just returned from Nashville, having visited my mother and attending to some rather unpleasant family business. Why so restless, I ask myself. Never satisfied and wondering why, I am trying desperately to stay in the present. As Baba Ram Dass said 'Be here now.' Looking back it's over. Looking to the future, you're bound to be dissapointed. Being here in the moment is for me the only true reality. Easy as hell to say, hard to do. I'm trying to stay on the road, but my mind wanders.

I started reading Singularity Sky, written by an English writer Charles Stross, who also worked with computers (like me). It's funny, weird and entirely engrossing. I've read about 200 pages in a day, and I'm hooked. I did the old trick that we used to do in grad school, in order to do research, that I call 'looking in the icebox.' If you open someone's refridgerator you can learn a lot about them. Same goes for their reading choices. I often like to find what others are reading, and then find out for myself what they like about their choices. Often, I'm dissappointed, but sometimes stumble on (or stumbleupon) a jewel. This writer fits the bill.

Got fields to plow, and plants to sow, and therefore needs must.

Later (or now)

HFB

No comments: