Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The New American Taliban?

I've been concerned lately about the religious right, feeling that they have a mandate, and a direct line to the White House, that they can push all their beliefs on this country, and they are taking the fight to the Congress over the latest Judicial appointees of Bush. There was a rally this past weekend funded by the conservative Family Research Council, which to me has religious groups crossing the line into politics, where I don't believe it belongs. I've done a little research, and found the following articles quoting William F. Buckley and Barry Goldwater, who is the father of modern day conservatives. Neither of them felt that the Republicans should embrace the religious zealots, as Barry Goldwater called them, as extremism is never a good choice. All you have to do is read some of the bizarre pronouncements of the religious right, and you should be afraid as well.

I think I have some experience of this, growing up in the belt buckle of the Bible belt. I remember the ministers who proclaimed wearing shorts, dancing and mowing the lawn on Sundays as sins. How long before we have women wearing burkas, and going to separate schools, in order to not corrupt us gullable males. Sounds ridiculous, but I'm afraid it looks like that's where we are headed. It's time for people to start speaking up, and I think the libertarians have awakened, and realize that these extreme views don't represent the views of the many. Forty Nine percent voted against Bush, so he's got far from a mandate for this Presidency. I say that liberal is not a perjorative term, and needs to be put into a positive context again, and without balance, I think the country is headed in the wrong direction.

Click here for an interesting link

React against this tyrrany

No comments: